Tuesday, June 8, 2010

More Like What It Should Be

With all apologies to Carolina fans that enjoyed last year's Stanly County Hall of Fame induction ceremony, Monday night's event was much more on point as to what the ceremony is supposed to be, in my opinion.

In fairness, it's not quite the same inducting a person into any Hall of Fame posthumously. Not that Orge Patterson Cooper was not deserving of the honor (he was), but the event was more of a Tarheel booster rally than the normal ceremony that I have become accustomed to seeing over the years. As I have said before, I pull for the Miami Hurricanes, so I don't have a dog in the Carolina-Duke fight.

I didn't find Duke football coach David Cutcliffe any less entertaining than I did Coach Roy Williams last year. Most coaches have a little preacher in them, as anyone that has heard a speech to a team can attest. Coach Cutcliffe had some great stories (still not sure about that graveyard story in Al-BAN-ee, Georgia) and talked about how sports can teach us life lessons. The Duke football coach was very much interested in the Sports Hall of Fame memorabilia cases (they have a new location, more on that in Thursday's paper). He and I actually talked about Frank Marbry, the head coach of the 1940 World Champion Legion team.

Bravo to the Chamber of Commerce and the Hall of Fame committees members for a dignified and enjoyable event.

No comments:

Post a Comment